3 large button mushrooms (coarse chopped)
2 cup(s) water
6 slices (8 oz) thick sliced bacon (cut horiz. Into ½” strips)
2 tbsp minced onion
1 cup frozen broccoli (thawed and chopped)
3 tbsp low-fat milk (2%)
1/3 tsp salt
1/2 cup uncooked coarse ground cornmeal
6 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 tbsp salted butter softened
1 small fresh tomato, remove seeds and fine chop
1. Combine mushrooms, broccoli and 1/2 cup hot water in a small bowl; set aside. Lightly coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch glass pie pan with cooking spray.
2. Cook bacon in skillet till crisp, remove bacon and place on paper towels to remove grease.
3. Add 2 tbsp minced onion to bacon drippings and cook till clear without browning. Remove onion and add to cooked bacon.
4. Heat oven to 400°F.
5. In a large heavy-bottomed pot, combine remaining 1 1/2 cups hot water, milk and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly drizzle in cornmeal, whisking constantly. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until polenta is as thick as mashed potatoes, about 6 to 8 minutes.
6. Stir in bacon, onions, broccoli, mushrooms and their liquid, 3 tablespoons Parmesan and butter then stir in about ¾ of the tomato.
7. Spread polenta mixture evenly in prepared pan. Sprinkle on remaining tomato and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake 25 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool at least 30 minutes and serve warm or serve at room temperature.
8. Makes 4 to 6 servings (depending on serving size).
9. Serve with a fresh salad to complete meal.